I Like Big Buttons! – How To Make A Fabric Cover Button Pendant October 03 2017
Fabric Cover Button Pendants are simple to make and add a stylish twist to any outfit. My oldest and I made some simple Cover Button Pendants for her to share with her dearest friends. We integrated her school colors into the design. We are in love with how they turned out. Can't wait to hear how her friends react!!!
Assembling fabric Cover Buttons is fast and simple. In just seconds, you will have a button ready for your latest craft project.
See our pictorial below:
How to Make Fabric Cover Buttons:
Cover Buttons are easy to assemble:
- Cut your fabric scrap. You will want a circle that is about twice the diameter of your button blank.
- Put your fabric piece in the larger assembly tool piece (RIGHT SIDE DOWN). When you look into the tool you want to see the back of the fabric.
- Place the button front (the domed piece) on top of the fabric. Leave the fabric edges hanging out.
- Press the cover button edges down into the tool.
- Place the back cover button piece on top of your fabric and button front. If the cover button will be subject to repeated tugging from the back, you may want to add a little e6000 adhesive before attaching the back.
- Take the smaller piece of the assembly tool and with the open side down place it on the button back.
- Press down. You may hear a pop when the last bit of the button back slips into place. If you take the tool out and the button is not completely secured, just put it back in and press down again.
- When you take the small assembly tool piece off, the fabric edges will be secured underneath the button back.
- Remove the button from the larger assembly tool piece.
*The only addendum to the above instructions was that we cut out small 3/4" red felt hearts to sandwich between each piece of lace and fabric. You will want to do this before placing the fabric upside down on the tool. Once you press the button cap into place, you can flip our translucent tool over and make sure the heart is placed where you want it.
- Carefully apply E6000 to the inside edges of the Pendant Bezel.
- Press the assembled Fabric Cover Button into place.
- Let dry for the recommended time, add necklace or cord as we did, and enjoy.
To see other great Fabric Cover Button ideas, visit our DIY Project section here.
Our 5 Most Popular Cover Button Tutorials - I Like Big Buttons! September 19 2017
These aren't your grandma's Cover Buttons!!! Well actually they are ;) only better, with so many many great uses for them.
Flat Backs are used for crafts were you would like to glue a cover button: jewelry, bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces, bobby pins and barrettes, scrap booking, and much more.
Wire Backs are used for fabric cover buttons in sewing, shoes, clothing, pony tail holders and much, much more.
Here are our 5 most popular Cover Button Tutorials:
Our 5 Most Popular KAM Plastic Snap Tutorials For Babies & Toddlers - I Like Big Buttons! September 12 2017
KAM plastic snaps are a SNAP to use and work almost anywhere Velcro or sewable button can be used. Here are some great Baby and Toddler KAM plastic snap tutorials from our KAM Plastic Snap Project Page!
How To Apply KAM Plastic Snaps With Hand Pliers Slideshow:
How To Apply KAM Plastic Snaps With Hand Pliers Video:
Today I spent the day laying out a photo slideshow of how to apply KAM plastic snaps with hand pliers. Installing snaps is, well, a SNAP to do! Check out how simple it is below.
- KAM Snap Pliers and Awl
- 1 Complete KAM Plastic Snap Set (2 Round Caps, 1 Studs, and 1 Socket)
- Scrap of Fabric or Sewing Project
1. Use the Awl to poke a hole where you want to install the KAM plastic snap.
2. Press the plastic snap Cap through the hole created by the Awl. The prong of the Cap will be visible.
3. Settle the Socket over the prong shaft.
4. Use the Hand Pliers to install the Cap and Socket together.
5. The Cap should be securely nestled in the die before you apply pressure. I am using Size 20 snaps so the T5 die is installed. Each size of snap has a correlating die.
6. Apply firm hand pressure. The rubber head should bulge slightly as pictured.
7. The prong of the Cap is now flattened. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket together.
8. Repeat steps to create the Stud side of the snap. Create a hole with the Awl and insert the Cap. The prong of the Cap will be visible.
9. Settle the Stud over the prong shaft.
9. Use the Hand Pliers to install the Cap and Stud together.
10. Apply firm hand pressure. The rubber stopper should bulge slightly.
11. The prong of the Cap is now flattened. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Stud together.
12. Now simply press the snaps sides together.
13. You have created a plastic snap that is durable, functional, and adds a colorful finish to your project.
14. Both sides of your snap have a clean finished look.
15. Happy Snapping!!!
Friday Fun Facts - The Anatomy Of A KAM Plastic Snap July 28 2017
KAM plastic snaps are wonderful. They are a SNAP to install and much easier and durable than a standard metal snap or sewable button. They come in a multitude of colors and sizes. Which one is right for you?
Here is a simple tutorial on the anatomy of a plastic snap set. There are 4 parts to a set:
- 2 Caps (Before installation they resemble a tack with a Round, Heart, or Star shaped head. They give a neat finished look to your snap.)
- 1 Socket (The female part with the larger raised circle that the stud (male part) fits into)
- 1 Stud (The male part with the smaller raised circle that fits inside the socket (female part))
- Size 20 (0.5" - 12.4 mm) snaps can be used for most general projects like baby diapers and clothing. They are our most popular plastic snap size, have the largest color variety, and have a good strong hold. We carry them in all 130 colors and clear.
- Standard Size 20 snaps have a 5.6mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- We also offer Long Prong Size 20 (0.5" - 12.4 mm) in a rainbow of colors. They are great for embroidered key fobs using Marine or Glitter Vinyl as well as other projects where you need just a little more prong length. Long Prong Size 20 snaps have a 6.2mm prong length.
- Size 16 (0.4" - 10.2 mm) snaps are most commonly used for baby and toddler clothing, pacifier clips, mama pads, and small crafts. We carry them in our first 60 ("B") colors and clear.
- Size 16 snaps have a 4.2mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- The Size 16 Socket and Stud are less noticeably different. Many first time users don't immediately see the distinction. The Socket's raised circle is the larger of the two pictured, and the Stud's raised circle is smaller and inserts into the Socket (female) side.
- Our Size 14 (0.35" - 9.7 mm) snaps can be used in most applications where Size 16 snaps are used. We carry them in White and Black at this time.
- Our Size 14 snaps have a 5.0mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- As with the Size 16, the Size 14 Socket and Stud are less noticeably different. The Socket's circle is the larger of the two pictured. The Stud's circle is smaller and inserts into the Socket (female) side. Size 16 and Size 14 Sockets and Studs are the same; only the cap differs.
- Size 19 (0.475" - 12 mm) snaps are used for heavy duty applications requiring a strong grip. They are often used with tote bags, coats, tarps, and upholstery. We carry them in White and Black at this time.
- Size 19 snaps have a 6.9mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- The Size 19 Socket and Studs are larger, but similar in appearance to Size 20 Sockets and Studs.
- Size 22 (0.55" - 14.1 mm) snaps are used for heavy duty applications requiring a strong grip. They are often used with tote bags, coats, tarps, and upholstery. We carry them in White and Black at this time.
- Size 22 snaps have a 6.9mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- The Size 22 Socket and Studs are larger, but similar in appearance to Size 20 Sockets and Studs.
For all our new friends and followers of I Like Big Buttons!, it seemed like a great time to introduce you to our amazing Plastic Snaps!!! For those of you who have been with us for a long time, here is a refresher.
We carry a variety of package deals for our snaps from 10 sets, 25 sets, 100 sets up to thousands of KAM snaps with and without pliers or professional press all at a great price. We have a listing for just about everyone at the price range and quantity you desire.
Unlike other vendors, our KAM plastic snaps are optically counted. This means every cap, socket, and stud is counted, and the amount purchase is assured to be at or above the purchased quantity (we allow overcounts, but not undercounts). Plastic snap batches can vary by 5% or more in weight (even between batches of the same color), so if your vendor is weighing them, you may not be getting what you paid for.
25 packs sets came to be largely for cloth diapers. Most customers that replace Velcro on cloth diapers with snaps have numerous diapers in varying colors. Many found purchasing 100 of each color wasteful, as they ended up with 75% of their snaps left over.
We provide the best of both worlds, smaller packs to those that want greater variety and larger packs for those looking to use snaps in bulk.
Some of these reasons we offer these great options include:
*A large demand from customers for just 25 snaps to convert or complete a single diaper.
* More compact, informational packaging that includes the name, quantity, prong length, and instructions about which Die and Rod to use.
* We also offer individual parts in quantities of 100 and 1000 in all of KAM Plastic Snaps 130+ colors.
If you aren't sure how to jump into plastic snaps, we also carry starter packs including multi-packs of 10 or 25 sets of snaps. If you are new to snapping, we have starter packs with plastic snap pliers, awl, and an instructional DVD. These Starter Packs are a great way to get addicted :). We have 18 preset themes including Rainbow Spectrum, Pastel Spectrum, Vibrant Boy, Vibrant Girl, Patriotic, Military, and many others.
Check out our convenient Starter Packs:
We also offer an option to choose your own colors. You can pick from any of KAM Plastic Snaps 130+ fun colors. Have you taken a moment to check out our new easy to navigate KAM Snap Visual Ordering Chart with new lower pricing!?!
Here is our chart of available colors, we carry over 130+ great KAM Plastic Snap colors.
We often get questions from our customers about our shipping and handling time. We have it posted on our site, but here it is for your convenience.
"Orders purchased before 3pm Pacific time are typically prepared for shipment the following business day in our 9am pickup."
Here are some reviews of our shipping from our happy customers:
★★★★★ Super fast shipping as always!! I can't stop making these buttons!!
★★★★★ Perfect, super sonic shipping, A+++ seller!
★★★★★ Great customer service, expedient delivery, excellent communication. Product exactly as described. Will use this shop again for sure.
★★★★★ aS ADVERTISED AND VERY FAST SERVICE!
★★★★★ Wow Super Fast Shipping!! Totally impressed and will definitely order again!! Great product!
★★★★★ Super fast shipping! Thanks!!
★★★★★ Excellent Lightning Fast Shipping I totally appreciate that and product is terrific I highly recommend this shop!!
★★★★★ thank you for super quick shipping Thank you.
★★★★★ Once again I am very happy with these snaps! You absolutely can't beat the price or the color options here and the shipping is so fast!
★★★★★ Perfect item. Fast shipping. Smooth Sailing.
★★★★★ I love using the KAM snaps. The really prompt shipping from "I like big buttons" was surprising. I ordered one day and shipped the same day. Got them the next day. I will be shopping with them again soon.
★★★★★ lightning fast shipment, above quality snaps
★★★★★ Great Items....can't wait to use them. Thanks for the fast delivery.
★★★★★ AMAZING service. Shipped out the next day. Had in 2 days! Will definitely be doing business with this company again! Thank you so much!
★★★★★ great merchandise and fast shipping makes buying easy
★★★★★ Everything was great. Shipped faster than expected and packaging was more than expected.
★★★★★ Perfect and super fast shipping!
★★★★★ They got here days before estimated arrival time.
★★★★★ This is a repeat buy. I reordered because they have the products I want at a good price. Quick delivery!
★★★★★ Quick shipping and an excellent price.
★★★★★ QUICK DELIVERY...EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED..THANK YOU
As always, there are exceptions to these customers reviews. We, just like our customers, are at the mercy of the US Postal Service, but on a whole, more than 99% of the time, they serve us well. We love our local US Postal workers who make shipping your packages a delight. If your purchase is taking longer than you had hoped, please feel free to contact us.
Gena (CEO of ILikeBigButtons.com)
I Like Big Buttons! Product Video: What We Carry June 22 2017
Check out ILikeBigButtons.com - A family-run craft supply shop with a large variety of plastic KAM Snaps & accessories, Key Fob Hardware, Cover Buttons, Pacifier Supplies, Metal Findings and more! We are constantly expanding our selection of crafting supplies for you.
I Like Big Buttons! Creation Share August 25 2016
Add a title to see how this article might appear in a search engine listing.
Mini Sewing Clips (3/8" wide by 1" long)
We are so excited to finally carry these. We love them. They are very useful for so many crafting projects as well as around the house. I even use them to hold my sheet music in place when I am playing the piano. :)
These mini sewing clips have many great uses. Perfect for making quilts, binding, knitting, crocheting, crafting, general sewing, and more. Will hold multiple layered sections of sewing projects such as piping without distortion. Great alternative to pins especially when working with thicker fabric or fabric you don’t want pin holes in like leather, vinyl, pile or delicate fabrics.
Each clip opens wide to hold layers of fabric and the clip base is flat for easy feeding to the presser foot and won't damage your precious fabric. They have convenient 1/4" and 1/2" seam allowance markings on the base for ease of use.
- Like having a “third hand”
- Easy to open
- No pin pricks
- Colorful and easy to spot when dropped on the floor
- Endless uses and counting
The possibilities are as big as your imagination!
These Sewing Clips are available in the following mix of colors:
- Lime Green
How to change the dies in the KAM Snap Removal Pliers.
- KAM Snap Removal Pliers
- Stud Die or Socket Die (included in kit)
- Screwdriver (included in kit)
Only 6 days left!!! Don't forget to enter our KAM Plastic Snaps Giveaway:
Giveaway good until Monday 7/18/2016
ENTER TO WIN HERE:
**Also, take an additional 10% any of our snap related products with coupon code: SNAPLOVE
1. The KAM Snap Removal Pliers will come with one of the dies installed.
2. Use the screwdriver, included in kit, to loosen the set screw on the base of the pliers.
3. Remove the die from the base.
4. Insert the desired die into the base of the pliers.
5. Push it flush with base.
6. Re-tighten the set screw with the screwdriver.
7. Tada! It is ready to use.
Who wants to win a KAM Snap Removal Pliers!?! We are running a KAM Snap Removal Pliers Giveaway!!! These may be my favorite new tool. They make removing a broken or miss-set snap a breeze. Enter to Win below.
If you need to remove a plastic snap, this is by far the easiest means for removing it. Also, take an additional 10% any of our snap related products with coupon code: SNAPLOVE
*If you should happen to buy one of our removal tools and then find out that you won our Giveaway and are not interested in 2 of them we will issue you a full refund for the removal tool you purchased and we will raffle the removal tool off again :). Win, win!
Giveaway good until Monday 7/18/2016
ENTER TO WIN HERE:a Rafflecopter giveaway
Assembling fabric covered buttons is easy and fun but did you know you can convert Wire Back Cover Buttons to Flat Back Cover Buttons in 1 simple step?
- Watch how easy it is below:
I Like Big Buttons! - How To Covert Wire Back To Flat Back
To see other great Fabric Cover Button ideas, visit our DIY Project section here.
Beautiful Pie Shop and ILikeBigButtons.com Giveaway! February 25 2016
Today, we are teaming up with Katie from Beautiful Pie Shop to sponsor a Giveaway for her super cute and very popular Bootie Patterns and our Rainbow Spectrum Starter Kit.
The winner will receive:
- Bootie Bundle - All 4 Bootie patterns in PDF Pattern & Tutorial - Downloadable
- Rainbow Spectrum Starter Pack with Pliers/Awl/DVD (10 sets of snaps in 10 colors = 100 sets total)
Enter to win here (Giveaway open through next Monday 3/7/16):
Also, if you don’t want to wait, you can get 10% off our Starter Packs and Pliers at ILikeBigButtons.com
- Starter Pack (100 Sets) (18 Packs to choose from) Coupon Code: STARTER100
- Super Starter Pack (250 Sets) (15 Packs to choose from) Coupon Code: STARTER250
Shop Beautiful Pie Shop here.
Starter Pack (100 Sets) (18 Packs to choose from) Coupon Code: STARTER100
Super Starter Pack (250 Sets) (15 Packs to choose from) Coupon Code: STARTER250
Just a reminder, our Giveaway for our Mega Starter Pack ends in just 9 hours (2/22/16)!!! Don't forget to ENTER.
#ilikebigbuttons #kamsnaps #plasticsnaps #win #giveaway
How to remove a plastic snap (socket side) with Cuticle Cutters. In most cases, you can reuse the socket if done with care.
- Broken or incorrectly installed plastic snaps
- Cuticle Cutter
Want our KAM Plastic Snap Removal Pliers, shop here.
Crafty Saturday! February 20 2016
Working on a project using ILikeBigButtons.com for a new sweet cousin. Can't wait to meet her!!!
Cover Button FAQs: How To Assemble A Fabric Cover Button Tip #1 February 09 2016
- Assembling fabric covered buttons is easy and fun but here is a handy trick to make it even simpler.
- This tip is great for saving your thumbs or when using slightly thicker fabric.