Cords, cords, cords!!! Despite my husband's best efforts to make our house wireless, there are cords everywhere. Part of the joy of being a mom of many, I suppose. 😜 Everyone has one or more somethings that need to be charged and my husband makes sure there are enough cords so that no one is left crying. Have I mentioned he is my resident computer wiz? A job he proudly takes on.
So with cords abounding in my life and house, I decided we needed a better way to manage them all. Here are the results of my efforts. Cord keepers/organizers to simplify my life and corral the cords we can't live without. 🤪
- Approximately 5.25" x 2" Marine Vinyl or material of your choice
- KAM Plastic Snaps (I used Long Prong KAM Plastic Snaps because I was working with 2 layers of Marine Vinyl)
- KAM Plastic Snap Pliers and Awl
- Sewing Clips
- Standard Sewing Machine
- Rotary Cutter
1. Cut out your material of choice, I used Marine Vinyl I had left over from a summer project. I cut each piece approximately 5.25" x 2" and gave them two different styles of finished ends. One is a pointed end, I used my quilting square to accomplish this, and the other has a rounded end, I used a small drinking cup to create the rounded tip. *The cords I was making these for were 6' cords, you may need to adjust the length of your cord keeper to accommodate a larger or smaller cord.
2. Place the two pieces of Marine Vinyl with wrong sides together and pin with Sewing Clips, if desired. Straight stitch with a 1/4" seam around the whole piece using a back stitch at the beginning and end to set the stitch.
3. Trim the edges down to 1/8" to remove the excess vinyl and any uneven edges. The Marine Vinyl can slip a little bit when you are sewing and I found this was the easiest way to get a clean edge.
4. Measure to the center at the top and bottom of each cord keeper/organizer and place a mark where you want your KAM Plastic Snap to sit. I don't like to eye it as I often find them off-center when I wing it.
5. Poke a hole through the centered mark with your KAM Awl and insert the KAM Plastic Snap Cap prong through the hole. You will want the cap on the top side (the side that was up when sewing) of your cord keeper and the socket or stud on the bottom side.
6. Flip the cord keeper over and add the socket. Install the KAM Plastic Snap Cap and Socket on the edge that is rounded or pointed and a Cap and Stud on the square edge as pictured below.
7. Remember to install the snaps so that one half (Cap and Stud) are face up and one (Cap and Socket) are face down so that when you fold the cord keeper around the cord, the socket and stud meet.
8. Tada! These cord keepers/organizers take only minutes to make with scraps of vinyl/fabric, a few KAM Plastic Snaps, and are already making my life feel less crazy. At least until they all get home from school. 😜
To see other great KAM Plastic Snap ideas, visit our DIY Project section here.
I Like Big Buttons! KAM Plastic Snap Starter Kit Giveaway October 18 2018
- ✿ - ✿ - ✿ - GIVEAWAY - ✿ - ✿ - ✿ -
It feels like time for a Giveaway!!! Who wants to win one of our KAM Plastic Snaps Starter Kit! Our KAM Snap Starter Kits are a great tool for those holiday projects you have planned or a great gift for your crafty loved one .
PRIZE: KAM Plastic Snap Starter Pack (100 Sets) of your choice with K1 Pliers and Awl. Choose from one of the fifteen choices pictured below.
Visit I Like Big Buttons Business Facebook Page to Enter To Win:
**Giveaway good through Wednesday, October 24th. One (1) entry per person. One (1) Random winner will be drawn.
#ilikebigbuttons #kamsnaps #plasticsnaps #handpliers #starterpack #starterkit #giveaway #win #kamsnapstotherescue #itsasnap
GIVEAWAY!!! Who wants to win a Long Prong KAM Plastic Snaps Starter Pack Kit (210 Sets)!!! Our KAM Snap Starter Pack would be a great tool for those crafty projects you have planned or a great gift for your crafty loved one :).
Long Prong Size 20 snaps are great for THICKER fabric projects, key chains, cloth diaper making, and embroidery. In most cases, our standard prong Size 20 snaps will be more than enough. Size 20 snaps have a good strong hold, and are a good size for most projects.
Winner will receive:
- K1 KAM Plastic Snap Pliers and Awl
- 10 pack of each of our 21 colors Long Prong KAM Plastic Snaps (total of 210 sets)
Giveaway good until Monday 01/29/2018
ENTER TO WIN HERE (by Liking, Commenting, and Sharing our Facebook Post for this Giveaway):
1. LIKE & SHARE our Business Facebook Giveaway Post, then COMMENT and share with us your favorite color(s). - I am in love with Aquamarine and Coral right now.
2. Join our I Like Big Buttons! Group.
3. Follow our Pinterest Page: ILoveBigButtons
4. Follow our Instagram Page: @ilikebigbuttons_com
*If your name is drawn as the winner, we will check to make sure you have completed all the requirements above.
Also, if you don’t want to wait, take 10% off your order of Long Prong Size 20 snaps through Monday (1/29) only using: LONGPRONGLOVE
© ILikeBigButtons.com and I Like Big Buttons Blog, 2018.
An I Like Big Buttons Christmas! Idea #10: How to Make a Hanging Kitchen Towel with KAM Snaps December 08 2017
Gift Idea #10:
Hanging Kitchen Towels are easy to make, functional, and add a nice punch of color to any kitchen.
1. My towel is 12" wide so I decided to do 4 sets of KAM Snaps to make sure the towel doesn't sag. With a ruler and a marker, I marked 1/4" down x 1" in on each corner and then 3" over from each corner mark. See More
Pin for Later: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/201184308328848275/
#ilikebigbuttons #shopilikebigbuttons #kamsnaps #plasticsnaps #kitchengear #kitchenideas #snapping #itsasnap #christmasidea #gift #christmasgift
An I Like Big Buttons Christmas! Idea #7: How to make a Bandana Bib with KAM Snaps and a PDF Pattern December 05 2017
Gift idea #7: One of our most popular tutorials, Bandana Bibs are a great gift for those little droolers and mess makers in your life or as an outfit accessory. So cute! I, also, used our Heart Shaped KAM Snaps for added pizazz, check it out!
- Fabrics of your choice
- 1 Heart Shaped KAM Snap Set
- KAM Snap Pliers and Awl
- Bandana Bib PDF Pattern (may need to adjust for your child's size or add more KAM Snaps settings)
- Standard Sewing Machine
- Download the Bandana Bib PDF Pattern. Print out the pattern making sure the 1″ square in the corner measures 1″ square when printed that will indicate the pattern is the right size. ... See More
Pin it for later: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/201184308328918372/
How To Apply KAM Plastic Snaps With Hand Pliers Slideshow:
How To Apply KAM Plastic Snaps With Hand Pliers Video:
Today I spent the day laying out a photo slideshow of how to apply KAM plastic snaps with hand pliers. Installing snaps is, well, a SNAP to do! Check out how simple it is below.
- KAM Snap Pliers and Awl
- 1 Complete KAM Plastic Snap Set (2 Round Caps, 1 Studs, and 1 Socket)
- Scrap of Fabric or Sewing Project
1. Use the Awl to poke a hole where you want to install the KAM plastic snap.
2. Press the plastic snap Cap through the hole created by the Awl. The prong of the Cap will be visible.
3. Settle the Socket over the prong shaft.
4. Use the Hand Pliers to install the Cap and Socket together.
5. The Cap should be securely nestled in the die before you apply pressure. I am using Size 20 snaps so the T5 die is installed. Each size of snap has a correlating die.
6. Apply firm hand pressure. The rubber head should bulge slightly as pictured.
7. The prong of the Cap is now flattened. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket together.
8. Repeat steps to create the Stud side of the snap. Create a hole with the Awl and insert the Cap. The prong of the Cap will be visible.
9. Settle the Stud over the prong shaft.
9. Use the Hand Pliers to install the Cap and Stud together.
10. Apply firm hand pressure. The rubber stopper should bulge slightly.
11. The prong of the Cap is now flattened. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Stud together.
12. Now simply press the snaps sides together.
13. You have created a plastic snap that is durable, functional, and adds a colorful finish to your project.
14. Both sides of your snap have a clean finished look.
15. Happy Snapping!!!