KAM Snap Upcycled Jean Christmas Ornaments by ILikeBigButtons.com December 05 2018
Today I decided a need a few Upcycled Jean Christmas Trees. As I have mentioned in the past, finding jeans destine for the scrap pile is no problem with a house full of rambunctious kiddos. These cute trees also remind me of some that my parents had when we were growing up.
- A set of holey Jeans
- Star KAM Snaps
- KAM Snap Pliers and Awl
- Fabric of your choice (I picked Christmasy colored cotton fabric)
- Quilt Batting or Pillow Stuffing
- Fabric Adhesive
- Standard Sewing Machine
1. Make a simple Christmas Tree template and trace on your jean fabric with a permanent marker.
2. Make pairs of each tree so that you have a front and back for each tree. You could also use felt or fabric on the back to extend the impact of your jean fabric.
3. Cut the Christmas Tree template down. I took about a 1/2" on each side/angle. Make a Fabric Christmas Tree silhouette for each Jean Christmas Tree.
4. Use a Fabric Adhesive to adhere the Christmas Tree silhouettes to the fronts sides of the Jean Christmas Trees.
5. Use a decorative stitch to outline the Upcycled Jean Christmas Trees on two sides. Then fill with quilt batting or pillow filling.
6. Finish stitching along the bottom swoop of the Christmas Tree. Add a loop of decorative ribbon and a Star KAM Plastic Snap to the top of the Christmas Tree.
Additional Crafty Ideas:
- You could add multiple cuts along the edges of the trees to add more character.
- Or you could fray the edges of the trees.
- You could give the trees finished edges, but that wasn't the look I was personally going for.
- You could add KAM Snaps; both Star, Heart, and Round shaped into the body of the tree to represent ornaments or twinkling lights.
7. Tada! I think they turned out great and add a great pop of color to our Christmas Tree.
I Like Big Buttons! Upcycled Messenger Bag/Purse Tutorial November 09 2018
We are a cat loving family here at I Like Big Buttons. As such, we have a few fluffy friends scurrying around. Recently, my husband picked up a few bags of cat food that not only were made of a more durable material than the paper bags ones but also had cute kitty images on them. I couldn't resist turning them into some cute messenger bags for a couple of my little cat lovers. :)
How to make an Upcycled/Recycled Messenger Bag/Purse with KAM Snaps and Pet Food Bag
- Pet Food Bag of your choice (Look for the ones made of woven plastic)
- Marine Vinyl or a material of your choice
- 2 KAM Snap Sets (Depending on the thickness of the material you may want Long Prong)
- KAM Snap Pliers and Awl
- 1″ Cotton Webbing
- Scissors/Rotary Blade
- Standard Sewing Machine
1. Cut the bag along the seams. I plan on making 2 bags with it. For this project, I am focusing on making each bag with a kitty image front and center. Use a damp cloth to wipe the leftover cat food crumbs from the interior of the bags and let air dry. This doesn't take more than a few minutes.
2. Decide on your shape. I like to craft off the cuff. This lid of a storage container was just the right size and shape to showcase the kitty image. Trace around it with a marker.
3. I picked the height based on the image. I left a 1" above each kitty image. *If I did it again, I might do 2" or 3" instead. As you will see later, the flap of the bag covers some of the image. If I had dropped it another inch I think it would have looked slightly better when snapped closed.
4. Cut 2 pieces of Marine Vinyl or material of your choice the same size at the kitty images. I had some vinyl left over from a summer chair reupholstering product. I love it because the color goes nicely with the kitty image and it is durable.
5. Cut two flaps for the messenger bags. I cut them the same width as the bags and longer than I thought I would need so I could adjust on the fly.
6. Using a 1/2" seam sew the kitty image to the front piece of Marine Vinyl, right sides together. I chose to put the Marine Vinyl front to the front so that the interior of the bag was uniform, but you could turn the right side of the Marine Vinyl inward so that it was to the inside of the bag. Sewer's choice. :)
7. Fold the sewed seam flat and smooth. Then, fold it until the kitty image is right side out. Smooth the sewed seam and Marine Vinyl.
8. Sew 1/4" seam along the top of the finished edge.
9. Fold the top edge of the back piece of the bag over a 1/2". Sew 1/4" seam along the edge, creating a finished edge.
10. For the top flap, I created a simple square with three finished edges. Marine Vinyl is durable and the raw edges hold up nicely. If using another material, you will have to give consideration to the material you are using and adjust accordingly. The messenger bag/purse will be about 8" wide when finished so I made the flaps slightly smaller at 7.75". *If I did it again, I might have shaved off a little bit more to give the shoulder strap more room to fill.
11. I, then, cut the height of the flap down to 3" because I wanted to see as much of the kitty image as I could after the KAM plastic snap was installed.
12. Align and use a zigzag stitch to attach the flap to the back piece of the purse. Make sure to center it.
13. Put right sides together and sew the 2 sides and bottom of the purse with a 3/8" to 1/2" seam. Make sure to use a Stay Stitch the beginning and end of your sewing so that the stitches stay put.
14. Turn the bags right side out and square the corners as much as possible. I used the backside of a Sharpie marker to help square the corners. Remember I slightly rounded them so they won't be perfectly square. Smooth bags flat.
15. Measure the center of the flap and use a KAM awl to poke a hole for the KAM plastic snap that you will adding. I am only going through 1 layer of Marine Vinyl so a Standard Prong snap will work. If you are using thicker material or multiple layers, I would recommend our Long Prong KAM plastic snaps.
16. Install KAM plastic snap (Cap and Socket).
17. Repeat in front of the bag, where KAM plastic snap lines up. I poked the hole through both layers at once so that I had a point of reference. Then I widened the hole after double-checking the placement of the internal hole. Install KAM plastic snap (Cap and Stud).
18. I think they turned out super cute! Now to add shoulder straps.
19. For the sake of time and my sanity, I simply attached the shoulder straps with a half of a KAM snap set (Cap and Socket). I used the snap like a rivet. I also used Long Prong KAM plastic snaps for this piece because I was working with the thickness of the Marine Vinyl and Cotton Webbing. *I doubled the edge of the Cotton Webbing over on itself and sewed a straight line back and forth across it a half dozen times so it doesn't unravel. With Polyester Webbing, you could melt the edge to secure it.
20. Tada!!! I think they turned out great, it took less than 2 hours to make both of them, and my little cat lovers are ecstatic. They have a new place to store their treasures.
😻 😻 😻
I Like Big Buttons! 6000 Likes - Coral Pink Professional KAM Plastic Snap Press GIVEAWAY!!! November 07 2018
Only 48 More Days Until Christmas!!! It feels like Christmas has already come here at ILikeBigButtons.com because we reached 6000 Facebook Likes!!!
Before Christmas gets here, we would like to celebrate reaching 6000+ Likes on our I Like Big Buttons! Facebook Page by sponsoring a Coral Professional Snap Press Giveaway!!! What better way to celebrate the gift making season and all our loyal followers!!! You will receive one of our custom Coral Press (as pictured) with a set of Size 20 Dies (will have all the parts to function, no additional expense will be required).
If you can’t wait and want our Coral Press, they are already 10% off on our website no coupon needed.
BONUS, all our snap products are an additional 10% any of our snap related products with coupon code: SNAPLOVE
Giveaway good until Wednesday 11/14/2018
See how to ENTER TO WIN below (Giveaway Rules*):
1. LIKE & SHARE this Giveaway Post publicly.
2. COMMENT on this Giveaway Post and share with us your favorite Christmas treat. - Our favorite here at I Like Big Buttons! is a toss-up between Muddy Buddy and Hot Cocoa with Candy Canes and LOTS of Whipped Cream. :)
3. Make sure you are a MEMBER of our I Like Big Buttons! Fan Group.
*If your name is drawn as the winner, we will check to make sure you have completed all 3 requirements above. One (1) Random winner will be drawn.
***If you should happen to buy one of our presses and then find out that you won our Giveaway and are not interested in 2 presses we will issue you a full refund for the press you purchased and we will raffle the press off again :). Win, win!
I Like Big Buttons! Unpaper Towel Tutorials October 17 2018
Unpaper towels make a great, attractive, and functional that you can make for you and your loved ones. We have 3 easy tutorials that show you how to make them. Standard Sewing Machine, Serger, or "No Sew" just pick your skill level and you can have these decorative and functional unpaper towels in your kitchen.
🍂🍂🍂 Welcome Fall! 🍂🍂🍂 KAM Plastic Snap Sale!!! $3.00 for 100 Sets (Choose from 130 Colors) KAM Plastic Snaps Sale and More September 16 2018
🍂🍂🍂 Welcome Fall! 🍂🍂🍂 KAM Plastic Snap Sale! We are running a number of KAM plastic snap sales including $3.00 for 100 Sets of any of our 130 colors so you can get started with some crafts before the holiday season is upon us. Check them out in the links below* (no coupons necessary):
100 Sets of KAM Snaps in Size 20 for $3.00 (Regularly $3.50+)
- Size 20 (0.5" - 12.4 mm) snaps are our most popular size and can be used for most general projects like baby diapers and clothing. They are our most popular plastic snap size, have the largest color variety, and have a good strong hold.
100 Sets of KAM Snaps in Size 16 for $3.00 (Regularly $3.50+)
- Size 16 (0.4" - 10.2 mm) snaps are most commonly used for baby and toddler clothing, doll clothing, pacifier clips, mama pads, and small crafts.
Mystery 1000 Kam Snaps/Plastic Snaps for $22.95 (Regularly $34.95)
1000* Kam Snaps/Plastic Snaps for $18.95 (Regularly $34.95)
Exclusive to I Like Big Buttons! Friends and Fans!!! Good Through Wednesday (9/19) on our website (Links Above). *Supplies may be limited.
I Like Big Buttons! Labor Day Sale - $2.50 for 100 KAM Snaps (Mixed Sets) & Other Great Deals!!! August 31 2018
Happy Labor Day!!! In honor of our Labor Day Weekend, we are running a number of KAM plastic snap sales including $2.50 for 100 Sets (Random Mix) and other great I Like Big Buttons! craft supplies. Check them out below:
100 KAM Snaps Sets (Mixed) for $2.50 (Regularly $3.95)
Up to 55% off our KAM Snap 1000 mixed sets, choose from the options below.
1000* Kam Snaps/Plastic Snaps for $15.95 (Regularly $34.95)
Mystery 1000 Kam Snaps/Plastic Snaps for $22.95 (Regularly $34.95)
100 Pieces - White* (B3) KAM Plastic Pacifier Clips for $15.95 (Regularly $22.95)
100 Pieces - Chocolate (G72) KAM Plastic Pacifier Clips for $15.95 (Regularly $22.95)
25 Plastic Pacifier Clips (Random Mix) for $6.95 (Regularly $8.50
See other deals in our Clearance Section @ ILikeBigButtons.com. Sale good through Wednesday, 9/5/2018.
Back To School Giveaway Week @ ILikeBigButtons! August 20 2018
Happy Father's Day from ILikeBigButtons.com June 17 2018
Friday Fun Facts - The Anatomy Of A KAM Plastic Snap June 08 2018
KAM plastic snaps are wonderful. They are a SNAP to install and much easier and durable than a standard metal snap or sewable button. They come in a multitude of colors and sizes. Which one is right for you?
Here is a simple tutorial on the anatomy of a plastic snap set. There are 4 parts to a set:
- 2 Caps (Before installation they resemble a tack with a Round, Heart, or Star shaped head. They give a neat finished look to your snap.)
- 1 Socket (The female part with the larger raised circle that the stud (male part) fits into)
- 1 Stud (The male part with the smaller raised circle that fits inside the socket (female part))
- Size 20 (0.5" - 12.4 mm) snaps can be used for most general projects like baby diapers and clothing. They are our most popular plastic snap size, have the largest color variety, and have a good strong hold. We carry them in all 130 colors and clear.
- Standard Size 20 snaps have a 5.6mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- We also offer Long Prong Size 20 (0.5" - 12.4 mm) in a rainbow of colors. They are great for embroidered key fobs using Marine or Glitter Vinyl as well as other projects where you need just a little more prong length. Long Prong Size 20 snaps have a 6.2mm prong length.
- Size 16 (0.4" - 10.2 mm) snaps are most commonly used for baby and toddler clothing, pacifier clips, mama pads, and small crafts. We carry them in our first 60 ("B") colors and clear.
- Size 16 snaps have a 4.2mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- The Size 16 Socket and Stud are less noticeably different. Many first time users don't immediately see the distinction. The Socket's raised circle is the larger of the two pictured, and the Stud's raised circle is smaller and inserts into the Socket (female) side.
- Our Size 14 (0.35" - 9.7 mm) snaps can be used in most applications where Size 16 snaps are used. We carry them in White and Black at this time.
- Our Size 14 snaps have a 5.0mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- As with the Size 16, the Size 14 Socket and Stud are less noticeably different. The Socket's circle is the larger of the two pictured. The Stud's circle is smaller and inserts into the Socket (female) side. Size 16 and Size 14 Sockets and Studs are the same; only the cap differs.
- Size 19 (0.475" - 12 mm) snaps are used for heavy duty applications requiring a strong grip. They are often used with tote bags, coats, tarps, and upholstery. We carry them in White and Black at this time.
- Size 19 snaps have a 6.9mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- The Size 19 Socket and Studs are larger, but similar in appearance to Size 20 Sockets and Studs.
- Size 22 (0.55" - 14.1 mm) snaps are used for heavy duty applications requiring a strong grip. They are often used with tote bags, coats, tarps, and upholstery. We carry them in White and Black at this time.
- Size 22 snaps have a 6.9mm prong length. Prong length refers to the length of the shaft on the backside of the Cap. When formed, the prong will compress and form a 'mushroom' shape to hold the Cap and Socket or Stud together.
- The Size 22 Socket and Studs are larger, but similar in appearance to Size 20 Sockets and Studs.