Making Lace & Fabric Cover Button Earrings @ ILikeBigButtons.com June 09 2021
- Flat Back Cover Buttons (I used Size 24, Size 30, and Size 36 Cover Buttons)
- Cover Button Assembly Tools
- Cover Button Templates
- Fabric Scraps
- Lace Scraps
- E6000 Adhesive or Hot Glue
- Sharpie Permanent Marker
- Surgical Stainless Steel Earring Posts and Backs
1. Cut your fabric scrap. You will want a circle that is about twice the diameter of your button blank or use one of our handy Plastic Cover Button Templates.
2. Put your lace piece in the larger assembly tool piece (RIGHT SIDE DOWN). Then, put your fabric piece in the larger assembly tool piece (RIGHT SIDE DOWN). When you look into the tool you want to see the back of the fabric.
3. Place the button front (the domed piece) on top of the fabric. Leave the fabric edges hanging out.
4. Press the Cover Button edges down into the tool.
5. Place the back cover button piece on top of your fabric and button front. If the cover button will be subject to repeated tugging from the back, you may want to add a little e6000 adhesive before attaching the back.
6. Take the smaller piece of the assembly tool and with the open side down place it on the button back.
7. Press down. You may hear a pop when the last bit of the button back slips into place. If you take the tool out and the button is not completely secured, just put it back in and press down again.
8. When you take the small assembly tool piece off, the fabric edges will be secured underneath the button back.
9. Remove the button from the larger assembly tool piece.
10. Tada! First step complete.
11. Lightly scuff the back of the Cover Button so the glue will adhere better (not essential but recommended).
12. Clean both surfaces of dust. I used rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab.
15. Let dry, add Earring Backing/Nut, and enjoy.
16. Tada! Lace and Fabric Cover Button Earrings are great a gifts or as products for your shop.