Homemade Donut Recipe from ILikeBigButtons.com Kitchen June 03 2022
🍮 I Like Big Buttons! Homemade Donuts 🍮
Ingredients for Bread Machine:
- 1 cup of Water
- 1 Egg
- 3 1/4 cup of Bread Flour (yellow bag usually)
- 1/4 cup of Granulated Sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoon of Rapid Rise Yeast (for bread machines)
Big Daddy Fryer or Medium, Heavy-Bottomed Pot on Stove:
- Crisco or Vegetable Oil (We use a fryer so I use Crisco because it sets back up and can be reused a few times before it needs to be replaced.)
Bread Machine Directions:
My bread machine has a quick dough option. It takes about 45 minutes to knead and mix and warm and knead it again or something like that. I usually walk away :). When it is done, I leave it in the bread machine for 15 more minutes and let it rise to make the yeast more relaxed and easy to roll.
***Alternative: 1 frozen loaf of Rhodes bread, thawed and rolled out will do the same thing. :)
- Plop the dough on a lightly dusted counter and roll it out to about 1/2" to 3/4". Using a donut cutter, or in a pinch, a large cup or the lid for a canning jar and a small cup about an inch in diameter to cut the center out. I often leave the center slightly attached. This helps it to hold more frosting when you are frosting them to eat. :)
- Place the cut out donut blanks on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I also toss all the scraps on the sheet, my kiddos love the tidbits as much as the full donuts.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 45-60 minutes until they double in size.
- Heat up the Big Daddy Fryer or a medium, heavy-bottomed pan with about 2-3 inches of oil to 375 F.
- Carefully lower 2-3 donuts into the oil and cook on one side for 1-2 minutes, or until golden. Then cook on the other side for 1 minute or less, until golden.
- Drain fried donuts on a wire rack set over a large tray or on paper towels.
- Once they have cooled, you can embellish them however you like.
I Like Big Buttons! Kiddos Favorite Frosting Options:
- Granulated Sugar (Roll in)
- Chocolate Frosting
- Coconut Pecan Frosting (German Chocolate Cake Frosting)
- Cream Cheese Frosting with Sprinkles