KAM Snap Upcycled Jean Christmas Ornaments by ILikeBigButtons.com December 05 2018
Today I decided a need a few Upcycled Jean Christmas Trees. As I have mentioned in the past, finding jeans destine for the scrap pile is no problem with a house full of rambunctious kiddos. These cute trees also remind me of some that my parents had when we were growing up.
- A set of holey Jeans
- Star KAM Snaps
- KAM Snap Pliers and Awl
- Fabric of your choice (I picked Christmasy colored cotton fabric)
- Quilt Batting or Pillow Stuffing
- Fabric Adhesive
- Standard Sewing Machine
1. Make a simple Christmas Tree template and trace on your jean fabric with a permanent marker.
2. Make pairs of each tree so that you have a front and back for each tree. You could also use felt or fabric on the back to extend the impact of your jean fabric.
3. Cut the Christmas Tree template down. I took about a 1/2" on each side/angle. Make a Fabric Christmas Tree silhouette for each Jean Christmas Tree.
4. Use a Fabric Adhesive to adhere the Christmas Tree silhouettes to the fronts sides of the Jean Christmas Trees.
5. Use a decorative stitch to outline the Upcycled Jean Christmas Trees on two sides. Then fill with quilt batting or pillow filling.
6. Finish stitching along the bottom swoop of the Christmas Tree. Add a loop of decorative ribbon and a Star KAM Plastic Snap to the top of the Christmas Tree.
Additional Crafty Ideas:
- You could add multiple cuts along the edges of the trees to add more character.
- Or you could fray the edges of the trees.
- You could give the trees finished edges, but that wasn't the look I was personally going for.
- You could add KAM Snaps; both Star, Heart, and Round shaped into the body of the tree to represent ornaments or twinkling lights.
7. Tada! I think they turned out great and add a great pop of color to our Christmas Tree.